Anyone else out there not a fan of the smell of Tea Tree oil? I’ve gotta tell ya—while I love all of its many awesome benefits for our skin health and immune function and use it frequently for those reasons--it’s just not my favorite aroma!
Tea Tree (aka Melaleuca) is also one of dōTERRA’s essential oils that’s safe to take internally, but again—in my opinion---not the most enjoyable taste.
What I really love in terms of taste and aroma are the citrus oils! So I was really excited to learn that in addition to its other benefits as a citrus oil, Green Mandarin also shares many of the same health benefits as Melaleuca.
I love the flavor of Green Mandarin so much that it's become one of my go-to oils for routinely adding to a glass of water for daily hydration.
Here’s what you need to know about this one and how you can use it. (FYI--if you just want ideas for using it and aren't as interested in the sourcing and scientific info, scroll down to the heading "Top 5 Uses" below. ;-) )
Sustainably Sourced Citrus
Green Mandarin essential oil comes from the unripened fruit of the mandarin tree, the same tree that produces Red Mandarin. The main difference between Green Mandarin and Red Mandarin is ripeness: a green mandarin is the unripe fruit; red mandarin is the ripe fruit.
dōTERRA sustainably sources our Green Mandarin essential oil from citrus farmers in Brazil. dōTERRA’s partnership with these farmers is really cool to me for two big reasons: first, during the growing process mandarin trees have to be thinned before the fruit has ripened, which means that more than half of the green fruit ends up being removed. As you can imagine, this green fruit is not sweet enough for most people’s tastes, and there’s not really a market for folks to consume it! So farmers just threw it away or left it to rot.
But dōTERRA’s team of researchers and scientists learned that the essential oil of the Green Mandarin fruit, even in its unripe state, has a unique chemistry with a wide variety of health benefits (more so than most other citrus oils) and a fragrant aroma distinct from that of its counterpart, the fully ripened Red Mandarin.
You know the phrase “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure”?? In this case, dōTERRA was able to take what was once a farmer’s scraps and turn it into a solid source of not only an incredible essential oil for us, but also an additional source of income for those citrus farmers. In the past, the income of these farmers depended upon their harvest of the ripened Red Mandarin fruit. But now they’re able to earn an income from the harvest of the Green Mandarin fruit as well, generating a steady source of income year-round.
Pretty cool, right?
An essential oil’s benefits for our health have their origins in that oil’s chemical constituents. Not to get too sciencey here, but I bring this up because a close look at Green Mandarin’s main chemical constituents reveals what makes this such a unique citrus oil!
Its two main chemical constituents are limonene and gamma-terpinene. Limonene is one of those chemical constituents that’s common to oils in the citrus plant family (including Lime, Lemon, etc.). This is one of the constituents that gives an oil its cleansing properties and ability to support various body systems. It also contributes to the citrus oil’s energizing and uplifting aroma.
Green Mandarin stands out from other citrus oils because of its lower concentration of the limonene, and its proportionally higher concentration of gamma-terpinene. Gamma-terpinene, also one of Tea Tree oil’s primary chemical compounds, augments the purifying and emotionally uplifting properties of Green Mandarin. Thus, Green Mandarin shares some of Tea Tree’s amazing benefits for skin and hair, as well as its protective benefits against environmental threats.
One last important distinction between Green Mandarin and other citrus oils is that it is not photosensitive---meaning, it’s safe to apply to skin that will be exposed to the sun. This is because unlike other citrus oils, Green Mandarin doesn’t contain any measurable furanocoumarins, a chemical compound associated with photosensitivity.
For this reason, when it comes to skin and hair applications, Green Mandarin may be a better choice than other citrus oils.
Here’s a quick snapshot of Green Mandarin’s primary health benefits:
- Supports healthy digestive, immune, and respiratory function
- Known for its soothing effects on the nervous system
- Promotes an energizing, uplifting atmosphere
- Gently cleanses and soothes the skin
- Promotes a healthy complexion
- Purifies and cleanses the air and household surfaces
- Supports oral hygiene
Top 5 Uses
- Diffuse to elevate mood and promote an uplifting environment. Try one of these diffuser blends:
- "Composed and Carefree" ~ 4 drops Green Mandarin, 2 drops Spearmint, 2 drops Lavender
- "Clean Kitchen" ~ 2 drops Green Mandarin, 2 drops Pink Pepper, 2 drops Clementine
- Add a few drops to a spray bottle with water and/or vinegar to clean household surfaces.
- Apply topically to cleanse the skin, promote healthy complexion, and to calm and soothe occasionally irritated tissues.
- For a DIY natural skin toner and clarifier, add a few drops to water or witch hazel.
- Make your own skin-soothing roller: To a 5-mL roller, add the following essential oils. Top off with fractionated coconut oil.
- 6 drops Yarrow|Pom
- 2 drops Green Mandarin
- 2 drops Magnolia
- Add a drop to a glass of water to give your digestive system a boost and support gentle cleansing.
- Because of the detoxifying benefits of the limonene, Green Mandarin may help relieve occasional heartburn and/or indigestion.
- Add 1-2 drops to a glass of water or a veggie capsule to support healthy immune and cellular function.
Have you tried Green Mandarin yet? Which of these uses do you think would be most beneficial for you?
P.S. This month dōTERRA is offering Green Mandarin at 10% off. Get your own bottle here. Be sure to reach out to me if you need access to wholesale pricing! This month only, first time wholesale customers can qualify to receive 50 dōTERRA dollars with their first order! I'd love to help you get in on these extra perks...let me know if you need the scoop. :)