Diffusing essential oils is one of the easiest yet most effective ways for you to experience the aromatic benefits of your favorite essential oil. Over time, your diffuser will develop an oil buildup that potentially can prevent it from working properly, so it's important to understand how to use and take care of it. Here are a few tips that will help you have the best aromatic experience and extend the life of your doTERRA diffuser.
Filling Your Diffuser
- Use clean, room-temperature tap water. Make sure the water level does not exceed the water mark.
- Add 5–12 drops of doTERRA essential oils. You can add more oil for a stronger aroma. Experiment with the amount of oil you use and find what works best for you.
Cleaning Tips for Petal, Aroma Lite, Brevi, & Lumo Diffusers
Quick-Clean after Each Use
- Make sure to unplug your diffuser prior to cleaning.
- When removing excess water from the water tank, pour from the rear of the diffuser to avoid spilling on the operating buttons.
- Clean the inside of the water tank and the outside of the diffuser with a small amount of neutral detergent cotton cloth or a small foam brush. Avoid using any harsh cleaners on your diffuser.
- Rinse and dry.
- Use a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol to wipe the ultrasonic mist chip found inside the water tank.
Deep Clean Every Month
Over time oil residue can build up in your machine, preventing it from working properly. So if you're like me and use your diffuser every day, it's a good idea to run a cleaning cycle about once a month to keep your diffuser ship-shape!
- Fill your diffuser half way with clean water.
- Add 10 drops of white vinegar.
- Let the diffuser run for about 5 minutes to allow the water-vinegar mixture to disperse throughout the unit and clean it.
- Drain the diffuser completely.
- Using a cotton swab dipped in vinegar, clean the tight spots and corners of the diffuser.
- Rinse with clean water.
- Use a dry cloth to wipe the diffuser and dry it thoroughly.
Best Places to Use Diffusers
- Living room
- School room
- Office desk
- Hotel rooms
Avoid placing your diffuser in direct sunlight or near a fan.
Diffuser Blends to Try
The sky's the limit when it comes to diffuser blends! It's fun to experiment and play around with your favorite essential oils. Personally, I favor the combo of citrus and mint aromas and am drawn to pre-made blends like Motivate, Elevation, and Citrus Bloom. I also love the Fir oils like Siberian Fir and Douglas Fir, and often use those in combination with citruses like Wild Orange and Grapefruit.
For inspiration, here are my top 4 personal favorite diffuser blends:
"Anthropologie": 3 drops Grapefruit, 3 drops Douglas Fir, 2 drops Frankincense
Seasonal Relief: 3 drops Lavender, 3 drops Peppermint, 3 drops Eucalyptus
Twist and Shout: 3 drops Citrus Bliss, 3 drops Citrus Bloom, 3 drops Citrus Twist
Breathe and Sleep Easy: 4 drops Breathe, 3 drops Lavender
Do you diffuse every day? What blends would you add to this list, or which of these are you most likely to try? Share in the comments below!